26 April 2010

Obsessed with stationary


Nothing is more pleasurable than a brand new notebook, or a thin-tipped pen which writes beautifully, or squared paper, or brown paper for that matter. Arthur thinks that stationary in general is a marvellous and joyous thing.

In recent years, Arthur has discovered the wonder that is a Moleskine notebook. From a write-it-yourself Paris guidebook to the new Recipe Journal, a Moleskine satisfies all notebook-related cravings. They are complete with pockets for notes, a 'ruler' page, a ribbon divider, all tied up with an elastic band, how marvellous! I carry at least one everywhere I go and now refuse to use any other diary.

It doesn't help that since I was a small child, my mother has worked in a cavernous gift shop in Saffron Walden. So when it came to those days when I was ill and off school, my mum would take me into work. An excruciating 9 hours of sitting behind the counter and listening to the gossip of the town, making pot after pot of tea and going out to pick up the doughnuts from "Dorry's" (Dorringtons - the best bakers ever!). Until, that is, I discovered the soap display. That's right, hours spent putting together little baskets of soaps/soap buds/tissue paper and other goodies, finished off with a covering of cling film over the top (fixed to the bottom with sellotape, being sure not to rip the cling film - a talent in itself let me tell you!)

Since then I have harboured an unhealthy obsession with stationary - down to finding the "back to school" aisle in Tesco exciting! All those highlighters and rulers... Anyway, this weekend whilst in Shropshire, I stumbled across the weird and wonderful world of the Church Stretton Antiques Centre and lying there outside was a (rather beaten-up but still functional) drawing board! The joy! Having recently enrolled in an evening course in Interior Design, this was like finding a bar of gold.

In short, stationary is good for the soul... fact!

Art xx

1 comment:

  1. haha. i used to collect a lot of stationary and I got addicted on it that I even resorted on buying wedding statioanry too. I don't know but the sight of the piles of stationary on my desk really makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete